Historical mapping of the area started with Francis Beaufort, a British Naval captain, who mapped the south coast of Turkey from Patara to Antioch.
He published a book, Karamania, on his travels in 1812.
The Lycian Way, St Paul Trail and Kaçkar books are accompanied by large folding maps. These maps were professionally drawn by the Hungarian
cartographer George Zsiga and are detailed contour maps which show the whole are covered by the books.
In addition, the following maps are available:
- Lycia and Pamphylia/Pisidia 1:250,000 maps produced by Archaeologist Sabri Aydal and available at Antalya Museum, and in some map shops. Useful contour maps showing the Lycian way and other trails. Includes an informative guide to various sites in several languages. Road information is the best available.
Available only from the army at Dikmen, Ankara, Turkey at about 15$ each.
(5 sheets) are available from Stamford's, Charing Cross Road, London.
- generally available.
, generally available.
(Harita Genel Komutanligi)
Information about a variety of maps are available at their web site.
(Türkische Riviera, Antalya)
ISBN-3-7079-0330-3, 7.95 Euros from ‘Zwerfkei’ in Holland. www.zwerfkei.nl.
(It covers the area from just west of Kas to Antalya (and onward to East of Antalya), about 2/3 of the area of the Lycian Way. Dimension of the map: ca 100cm x 70cm. It shows small roads and some paths, "places of interest", names of villages and of few mountains, some rivers; no height-contours; mountain ranges are shaded. If you find any more maps please let Kate know.)
http://bardjur.fizteh.ru/maps/maps/Turkey/map_1km (doesn't work on FireFox browser)
http://maps.poehali.org (Russian) all have some maps of Turkey; the names on the maps are in Cyrillic script.
http://www.macgpspro.com/index.html is the site of James Associates Mac GPS Pro; the software allows Mac users to plot points and routes onto a scanned topo map, and up-and download points to your GPS. It is also interactive; with a GPS connected you can follow your movements on a topo map live. Brilliant software, recommended.
CAUTION: The downloads section is restricted to book owners only. Once you enter the correct information, you will have access to all the files.
MAPS TO DOWNLOAD:
- Lycian Way Map: Size 525 x 382 (100KB)
- Lycian Way Map: Size 1200 x 727 (229KB)
- St Paul Trail Map: Size 300 x 600 (138KB)
- St Paul Trail Map: Size 375 x 1102 (216KB)
- Travels of St Paul: Size 1024 x 680 (83KB, Black & White)
- 1st & 2nd Journeys of St Paul: Size
533 x 380 (79KB)
- 3rd & 4th Journeys of St Paul: Size 531 x 380 (79KB)
- North Kackar sketch map: Size 580 x 788 (446KB)
- South Kackar sketch map: Size 545 x 782 (416KB)
GPS DATA TO DOWNLOAD:
Gps data provided here are in three formats. They are Google Earth (.kml), Garmin (.gpx) and as text file (.txt). You can download which suits your needs best or all at the same time :)
St Paul Trail:
.gpx | .txt
Please see password instructions above. Happy trekking!